I saw come marching o'er the knows Fyve hundred Fenwicks in a flock, With jack and spurs and bowis all bent, And warlike weaponis at their will.
Ballad of the Raid of the Redwire
In the National Register of Historic Places
Honorable Major General John Fenwick (pronounced 'fennick') Original creator of the Plantation 1675?-1747
Written in 1921: Hon. John Fenwick did not record the date or manner of his immigration to America. The moving cause of his coming may have well been a summons from his brother, Robert. There has survived a land 'warrant' issued to John Fenwicke of the date March 1, 1704/5 for 500 acres of land on Sandtee River adjoing another tract which he then already owned; and it was in the summer of 1706 that, having then been established in the colony long enough to have become a Captain of militia, he there had his crowded hour.
John Fenwick did not live out his life at Fenwick Hall. Several years before he made his will in February 1745/46, he did what his elder brother, Edward had done in similar circumstances, and what reveals him to have been a British colonial in the tradition we know today when the world is smaller and distances are less. He was no Henry Esmond seeking in the wilderness a definite refuge from memories of civilization: he never cut his family ties with home, as did the immigrant ancestors of most American families. When the time came, he recrossed the Atlantic to 'retire', just as he had crossed it originally to make his fortune. Therein he left a legacy of tradition for which his grandsons paid heavily.......
Below... Fenwick Tower through the years...
History of Fenwick Hall (Shortest version of a long History?)
1703-John Fenwick(e), youngest son of Robert, immigrates to Carolina from England and serves as Commissioner of the Indian Tract. Marries Elizabeth Gibbes (born 2.4.1691) , daughter of Governor (and Chief Justice) Robert Gibbes of a Devonshire family, who came early to Carolina from Barbadoes. Gibbes conveys much of his land on Johns Island to Fenwick. 1720- Indians are Fenwick's Johns Island neighbors when he builds a house of notched logs. Possible previous Fort. This fort becomes the tall basement of the manor house. 1730/1738-John Fenwick,from builds the rectangular main section of the manor house on top of notch logs/fort on John's Island facing the Stono River. 1747-Edward Fenwick Sr,Esq, (Lord Ripon) inherits his father's John multiple plantations and 11,000 acres and propertys downtown Charles towne. Edward Sr first marries Martha Izard, daughter of Ralph Izard of "The Elms, Goose Creek. Martha dies and Edward Sr then remarried to Mary Drayton, daughter of Thomas Drayton of "Magnolia" on the Ashley River. Edward Sr travels through Europe, selecting thoroughbred horses for his Johns Island Stud Farm at Fenwick Hall. Edward builds the coach house and a impressive separate brick stable for his horses. A three-mile (some claim 3 1/2 mile) race track is built from what is now the intersection of Maybank and River roads to Christ Church on Maybank. Fenwick's children live in a mansion of brick surrounded by white and black servants, stables, barns, a coach house and cleared fields- a testament to the family's wealth and social standing. Legend has it that Fenwick's daughter elopes with an Irish coachman and is caught the next day with her groom. Fenwick orders his daughter to whip into motion a horse that supports her lover, who hangs from a noose.The daughter's ghost still roams the house, calling her lover's name: "Tony, Tony, Tony."A different version of the legend is told today on Johns Island. The groom was beheaded by the noose and on full moons rides through the marsh searching for his lover. Some swear to have seen the Headless Horseman of Fenwick. 1753-Edward Fenwick Jr. "Ned" Eldest son of Edward Sr inherits and revives for ten more years (1777-1788) the John's Island Stud his father began. December 1774 Edward Jr mets and secretly marrys his german cousin, daughter of John Stuart, H.M. Superintendant of Indian Affairs for the Southern Department, over his fathers well documented opposal. 1779- As word spreads of the British invasion of Charleston, Edward's sons, Edward, Jr. and Thomas, shockingly defect to the British. Edward Jr. and Thomas join the British forces, who take Fenwick Hall. The British have to protect them from their neighbors. American Patriots accept a dinner invitation to Fenwick Hall. Edward Fenwick Jr reports on their strength to the British, who surround the Americans. The Americans lay down their arms. The British bayonet them, killing or wounding almost every man.After the war, Thomas flees to Jamaica with a large number of his father's slaves and is never heard from again. Edward Jr. is portrayed as a Patriot spy by his supporters and eventually is accepted by his neighbors. Due to Fenwick family litigation, Edward Jr must sell the Stono River plantation and departs Fenwick Hall and moves to Edisto to continue the horse breeding tradition of the British Fenwicks. Ned dies on a Friday, in the fall of 1800, at only the age of 46 of a confirmed dropsy. The Fenwick plantation is bought at auction by the Gibbesfamily. John Gibbes is then thought to have added the octagonal wing to Fenwick Hall and possibly the portico and roof ballastrade around 1800, just before his death. 1782-January 15, (Revolutionary War) Lt Colonel Laurens captures stragglers at abandoned British Camp (Fenwick Hall). Also, Laurens exchanges gunfire with a British schooner on the Stono River, presumably near Fenwick Hall & Gibbes Planatation. 1803-John Gibbes dies. Fenwick is sold to Joseph Jenkins, 1810(1806)-Robert Brown buys it from Joseph and Elizabeth Jenkins on May 9, 1810. William Seabrook, Esq, handles the transaction. 1817-? Eleven years later, planter,Benjamin Reynolds,purchases the 2,475 acre track for $20,000.00. State Senator 1818-1826. St Johns Vestry 1812-1825. Married Sarah Toomer. Pre-1838- Benjamin F. Scott purchases the plantation. 5.29.1838William Snowden, Martha and Justus Angel purchased Head Quarters PLantation. 2.10.1840- After succession of owners,Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend, a planter on Edisto, buys Fenwick. During the Civil War, Fenwick Hall was used by both the Union and the Confederacy as a field hospital. Its usefulness to the Union probably saved it from being burned.When the Townsends return after the war, the plantation's farmland is in ruins.The land is leased for farming. Townsend was born 5.29.1807 at Bleak Hall Plantation, Edisto Island, SC and died 7.29.1885 at Rockville, Wadalaw Island, SC. Three of their children are born at Fenwick Hall (Susan Mary Townsend, Elizabeth Amarinthia Townsend, & James Swinton Townsend). Dr Jenkins lived at Fenwick during the winter and summered in the Village of Rockville,. He built a church there with the help of two of his slaves who were highly skilled apprenticed carpenters in Charleston. The small white church (Rockville Presbyterian Church) was built about 11 feet off the ground in the style of the homes of Rockville, with pillars made of tabby, a mixture of shell and lime. Orginally there was a tall steeple, but it crashed to the ground in the great hurricane of 1893. During the civil was the steeple was used as a lookout from which to observe Federal gunboats in the North Edisto River. Pre-1867-Daniel H. Townsend owns Fenwick. 12.20.1867-John Henry Townsendalso owns Brick House Plantation. 12.11.1876-Thomas F.H. Peckthen owns Fenwick. 02.1900-Martha Peck. 1910??,John Limehouse leases and opens on Fenwick farmland that becomes famous for pork sausage. 10.5.1912Henry B. Whilden now owns Fenwick and it is called "Fenwick Castle" and "very old historic house". Home is boarded up and sits deserted. The land continues to be used for farming. Late 1920's-1930-Victor Morawetz and his second wife, Marjorie,of New York City, buys and restores the badly deteriorated plantation house with his wife. He dies in 1938. They grow unique and rare cacti in their garden with many blooming variety. Many of these cacti grow 25' high in the garden. At that time, the plantation is calleld 'Fenwick Castle'. Morawetz was a wealthy NY City lawyer known for his astute dealings with railroads and corporations. They also owned the "Pirate House' in historic Charleston. The Charleston "Pink House", 17 Chalmers St, Constructed circa 1712 was also restored by the Morawetz in the 1930's. Driving to Fenwick from Charleston via James Island, you will drive through a alley of Magnolia trees at the golf course. Victor Morawtez planted these trees during the time he and his wife restored Fenwick. The magnolia trees are still there today and make the drive to Fenwick Hall a pleasant outing. 1931, April-Historic American Building Survey completed on the plantation and accepted into Library of Congress (while under Morawetz ownership). 12.27.1943The plantation is sold to Helen (Nellie) Igoe Blanchardand is called "Fenwick Hall Plantation". The Blanchards move in! Plantation is down to 1,332 acres. 1958-"The Legend of Fenwick Hall" overture is played by The National Symhony Orchestra in Washington, D.C. It was directed and written by the Blanchard's son, Robert Igoe Blanchard. Bob wrote the overture as his graduate thesis for his master's degree. Blanchards--can we get a copy of the music? 1972-February 23- Plantation is accepted to the National Registry for Historic Places while under the Blanchard's ownership. 1975-Helen Igoe and Claude Wright Blanchard Sr, a Charleston County contractor, put the 1,200-acre Fenwick estate on the market for $xxx million. Anyone have a copy of the brochure that was used to advertise the plantation? I lost my copy over the years! Bummer. 4.27.1978- No buyers for the complete plantation. The plantation is then partitioned, and at least one tract sold to private developers.Fenwick Acres Partnership purchases Tract B which includes the manor house and then leases to Fenwick Hospital. 1978-Blanchards sell Fenwick Hall and relocate. Blanchard children inherit portions of the partioned plantation minus the main house and two Oak Allees'. 1980-Fenwick Hall Hospital, a private alcohol and drug abuse counseling center, begins operation on the smaller 55 acre estate. Only the elite can initally afford to stay at this clinic which resembles a high end health spa. The main house is damaged due to installation of fire supression equipment and commercial kitchens. Holes are drilled recklessly into the original aged paneling. Hand painted mural in the 'great room' from 1931 is painted over. Old historic doors are spray painted with black paint and stencels to note patient's room numbers. 1985-Fenwick Hall Plantation is annexed into the city of Charleston and zoned for development. (yikes! Imagine the taxes!) 1990-Fenwick Hall Hospital- Rates were as high as $14,000 per month. Many well known 'patients' visit, such as former Washington D.C. Mayor, Marion Barry (& body guards). Former Dodgers pitcher, Don Newcombe was also a patient along with John Drew, NBA Star with the Atlanta Hawks. A second mayor chose the 'hall' for recovery-former Ft Lauderdale mayor Charles Lowery recovered here. The Washington Post Newspaper calls Fenwick a "pricey, luxurious, exclusive center". The Chronicle Telegram newspaper (Elyria,Ohio) 7.5.1981 article states "Alcoholism center caters to execs at top" with its heated swimming pool, exercise room, whirlpool, sauna and locker area. A tennis & basketball court is a stone's throw away. The staff included three physicians, a dozen nurses, consultants, counselors, social workers and recreational therapist. The clientele has included some nationally known sports, entertainment and businesss figures whose identities the hospital guards unless they decide to go public". Programs included "Art Therapy". Multiple free standing buildings for the hospital are built on the estate called a 'colonial farm campus' by the architect. 1995-Fenwick Hospital closes. Charter medical Corp closes the 49-bed rehabiliatation center. Plantation sits abandoned except for the security guard and ghost for almost five years. Main house suffers from neglect including water damage. 2000-Newest Owners/Caretakers! Even though the property is advertised for sale world wide by Colliers Kennans Real Estate, a local couple, xxx and xxx buy the Fenwick and the 55-acre tract around it, which they plan to restore and reside in. There was interest from London and the Cathoic Church for a time considered Fenwick Hall as a residence for retired priests. (Aiken County/South Carolina News 11/11/2000). Fenwick Hall research and restoration begins and the plantation comes back to life! And with the plantations new life, it is now called, lovingly, "Fenico". 2001-Developers propose & construct several hundred housing units on the original plantation property overlooking the main house & drive. Legal battles ensue as the developers do not follow legal agreements and impact what is left of the plantation significantly. Everyother street on the island is named after something to do with fenwick--overkill. Charleston BY-PASS may be constructed and pass right thru the Fenwick Hall platation. Can it get any worse for Fenwick? Yep, global warming with a rise in the tides. Many surrounding subdivisions on the former plantation grounds go 'belly up' before completion. TODAY: Restoration on the property continues including the various buildings, landscaping and saving the huge old oaks. The City of Charleston can't wait to destroy one of the two Fenwick Hall Plantation's Oak Allees! The city plans to cut a roadway (new Penny's Creek Road) by clearing the OaK Allee that flanks the Twelve Oaks Condos. Sources: Cultural Resources Study of Fenwick Tract D, Ralph Bailey, Brockington and Associates; Post and Courier articles; Aiken County/South Carolina News; Chronicle Telegram 7.5.1981 Elyria, Ohio; Jonathan Poston, director of preservation programs, Historic Charleston Foundation; The History of Beaufort County, Lawrence S. Rowland; City of Charleston; Richard Kerr, John's Island Stud, Helena Igoe Blanchard McKay-Vivona, Martha Aldridge, Harry Campbell Vaiden III.
Fenwick Crest, the Phoenix
Major General John Fenwick you know of his image anywhere?> 1675?-1747 (The 7th John Fenwick of England) ~ 1730 he builds major portion of Fenwick Hall.
John was of noble British origin and the Fenwick family was known as a very old family and of immense belongings. John married Elizabeth Gibbes b 4 Feb, 1691, daughter of Governor Robert Gibbes of S.Carolina.
1721 Colonel John Fenwicke was appointed an Associate Justice. 1730 he was appointed a member of His Majesty's Council in S.Carolina. June 1740 Colonel Fenwick was promoted to rank of Major-General and of the appointment of Colonel Charles Pickney to the command of his regiment.
Honorable Edward Fenwick Sr
and his 2nd wife, Mary Drayton Fenwick
John Fenwick's eldest son inherits Fenwick Place: Honorable Edward Culcheth Fenwick, Sr, Esq., (The "Lord Ripon") and 2nd wife, Mary Drayton Fenwick. Edward b 1720-1775 Inherits the plantation. (d) July 7, 1775
Images of Hon. Edward Fenwick Sr and Mary Drayton Fenwick are copies of miniature paintings behind glass. These images were graciously provided by their descendant, Mr Andrew Jones. I thank Mr Jones for sharing these important historical paintings.
Edward Fenwick Sr. was the founder of the John's Island Stud. He built the impressive Coach House and matching Stable and private race track. He is one of the few directly responsible for the bloodline that we know as the American Thoroughbred Horse.
Edward Sr Wives: 1. Martha Izard, daughter of Hon. Ralph Izard. Edward Sr and Martha had one daughter, Elizabeth Fenwick. 2. Mary Drayton b 21 Dec 1734, (yes, of Drayton Hall) married Edward Sr on Feb 27, 1753, who was the daughter of Thomas Drayton & Elizabeth Bull. Mary marries John DeBrahm after Edward Sr's death. Mary and Edward Sr had a whopping 15 children who are listed below.
Edward Fenwick Sr. and Mary Drayton Fenwick's 15 Children:
1. Edward Fenwick Jr, b. 12 Dec 1753. (Spy and Traitor-assisted Capt John Stuarts wife and daughter on Feb 3, 1776). Married Christiana (b 1752) Stuart. 2. John Fenwick, b 12 Aug 1755 3. Sarah Fenwick, b 3 Dec 1756 (married Feb 1777, Macartan Campbell) 4. Mary Fenwick, b 7 Jan 1757 (married Nov 1779, Walter Izard, son of Ralph Izard) 5. Colonel Thomas Fenwick (of British Militia), b 19 Dec 1758 (Spy and Traitor-guided British in their attack on Capt Matthews and Barnwell on John's Island in 1779) 6. Martha Fenwick, b 15 Jan 1760 (married Oct 15,1778, Thomas Gadsden, Captain in 1st Regiment SC Continentals) 7. Robert Fenwick, b 16 Mar 1761 8. Charlotte Elizabeth Fenwick, b 4 Nov 1762 9. Selina Fenwick, b 18 Apr 1762 (unmarried as of 1805) 10. Robert William Fenwick, b 16 May 1765 (died before 1785?) 11. Charlotte Fenwick, b 21 July 1766 (married 1st: Willaim Leigh Pierce, Captain on staff of Gen.Greene. 2nd husband was Ebenezer Jackson) 12. Matilda Fenwick, b 12 Dec 1767 (possibly married Robert Giles-no children) 13. Harriette Fenwick, b Mar 1769 (married Josiah Tattnall, Jr in 1786, Governor). 14. George Fenwick, b 5 Jan 1771 (died before 1785?) 15. Brevet Brig. General John Roger Fenwick, b 13 Jan 1773 (never married/no children). Died Mar 1842.
(Majority of the children obtained an proper education in England.)
Obituary---Honorable Edward Fenwicke, Sr, Esq died July 7, 1775.
Honorable Edward Culcheth Fenwick, Sr, Esq Dies. The "Lord Ripon" dies July 7, 1775 1720-1775 <---Obituary
Click on the obit left to enlarge.
1788 Edward Jr places the Horse Estate up for sale due to family litigation and being expelled from Carolina.
Edward Fenwick, Jr, Becomes a 'man without a country' due to his deeds. Eldest son of Edward Fenwick, Sr. 1753-1800
Edward Jr.. attempted to continue his father's horse breeding and like his father, he did import high blood horses. Edward Jr was a British 'Loyalist' & 'Tory' and betrayed both Americans and Britian and along with his traitor brother, Thomas Fenwick. Both were weak in character.
Col. Edward Fenwick, from Charleston County.
Initally a captain, Fenwick as lieutenant colonel commanded a unit of loyalist dragoos from out Charleston in early 1781. In April, he managed to route Harden at nearby Fort Balfour. He and a number of his men were exchanged, and in the latter part of July reappeared in the field. Thereafter Fenwick and his troops continued to act as a patrol outside Charleston. Joseph Johnson says he was twice a traitor, first to Americans, later to British, and supplied Greene with information, and for which, like Andrew Williamson, his property was later spared confiscation by the 'rebels'. In the end, Edward Fenwick Jr was the classic example of a 'man without a country'. had all his property confiscated by the "Confiscation Act of 1782".Three years later...by a special "Act of Assembly" (just for him!) on March 24, 1785, Edward Jr's property was restored to him but he was required to leave the state within a year. He was also subject to the internal family litigiation from his siblings that led him to attempt to sell the Fenwick Plantation, which in the end, family relative and neighbor, John Gibbes purchases.
<---Obituary September 13, 1800. Died at 46 years.
Obituary for Edward Fenwick Jr, died 9.13.1800.
Charlotte Fenwick (Granddaughter of John Fenwick)
Charlotte Fenwick b July 21, 1766 Sister to John Roger and Edward Jr and 12 others.
Charlotte first married William Leigh Pierce. Pierce was from Virginia and they settled in Georgia. Soon after the Revoluntion, in 1787, he sat as a delegate from the state to the Convention that framed the Constitution of the United States.
Charlotte Fenwick's 2nd husband was Ebenezer Jackson of Massachusetts. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of 3rd Continental Artillery on June 27, 1781 where he served until Nov 3, 1783. Mrs Charlotte Jackson's daughter, Harriet Jackson, became in 1821 the wife of Commodore Tattnall, her first cousin.
Who was Charlotte Fenwick? Here are exerpts of a letter written to her soon-to-be husband from a friend, describing her on July 10, 1783:
Dear Major Pierce, Last evening for the first time in my life I saw Miss Charlotte Fenwick. She sang "Return Enraptured Hours" most divinely. She is rather pretty than handsome. She is lively, facitious and I think abonimably clever. The whole town says you are engaged to her-it is taken for granted-and now you are ranked on the list of a Northern Gentleman marrying a Southern Lady.
John Roger Fenwick (Edward Fenwick Jr's little brother).
BRIGADIER GENERAL JOHN ROGER FENWICK 1773-1842
The last Fenwick male... John Roger Fenwick's photo is only the second photograph of a Fenwick I have been able to locate. John Roger was the "last' of the male line of Fenwick Hall Fenwicks had no children. Born at Fenwick Hall, John Roger Fenwick was the youngest son of Edward Sr and had the good fortune to be born too late to become broiled in the political battles of his older siblings (Edward Jr & Thomas). 1799 John Roger Fenwick was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps and he was regulary promoted. 1809 he became Captain. In December of 1811, John Roger resigned from the Marines in order to transfer to the Army. He was severly wounded and made prisoner at the Battle of Queenstown Heights, 13th October 1812 in the War of 1812. March 1813 he was brevetted Colonel for "gallant conduct" on the Nigara frontier, and was on the same date appointed Adjutant General of the Army, with the rank of Colonel. John Roger Fenwick was disbanded with the rank of Colonel in June 1815, but retained in the Army as Lieutenant Colonel of Light Artillery. He was commissioned Colonel of the 4th artillery in May 1822.
The 18th of March, 1823 he became 'Brigadier General, U.S.A. and in that rank, ended an honourable professional career. He was well like by both President Madison and M.Van Buren. John ended his career as Counsel for the USA to France and spent his remaining years there in Paris. He had no wife, no children.
On the death of General John Roger Fenwick in 1842, the 'tail male' of the Carolina Fenwicks was broken. Their tradition has since been maintained only by descendants of the General Fenwick's sisters.
Brevet Brigadier General John Roger Fenwick. (John Fenwick's Grandson) Painting by Gilbert Stuart.
Help! need photo!
John Gibbes' family's Coat of Arms. Click for link to Gibbes Art Museum
John Gibbes Fenwick's were neighbors & cousins with the Gibbes. John Gibbes purchased Fenwick Hall Plantation from Edward Fenwick Jr as a forced sale due to 'internal' Fenwick Family Litigation. (Edward's brothers and sisters wanted their part of inheritance from Edward Fenwick Sr's estate.)
Some authorities ruminate that Edward Fenwick Sr added the octagonal wing on the manor house for his second bride at the same time he built the coach house and stables. Others claim that John Gibbes added the wing & roof-top balustrade upon his purchase of the property.
Joseph & Elizabeth Jenkins ? purchases plantation from John Gibbes.
1810, Robert Brown sells Fenwick Castle to Benjamin Reynolds.
Robert Brown Sells ! 1810, October 17 Charleston City Gazette Newspaper The subscriber offers for sale his Plantation, situation on John's Island, and in sight of Charleston, from which by water, it is a distant about six miles and by land, over the Ashley River Bridge, probably, not more than three or four. It possesses a very extensive front on Stono River, on which it has several good landings. It has an abundance of oak, and pine wood on the margin of the river, which, from its local situation, may be easily transported to market. It contains within its own bounds an excellent range of stock, an article of considerable profit and ready sale. This track contains by old survey 2,000 acres, and consist of cotton, corn and rice, pine and high black-rush land. The cotton and rice lands are of excellent quality; the rush bowls may be easily embanked, and converted into the first quality cotton land, the bottom being blue clay.
There are on the premises an exceeding good Dwelling House, containing thirteen upright Rooms, a large kitchen and stable, all built of bricks; a machine house, cotton house, & c. The grounds around the building elegantly laid out; but a further description is deemed superfluous, as any person desirous of becomming a purchases will, of course, view the premises.
The terms and other particulars will be made known by applying, directly on the premises, to the subscriber, or through the medium of Messrs. Rhodes & Otis Factors, Charleston Robert Brown, john's island, October 27
Son of Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend, "James Swinton Townsend" was born at Fenwick in 1849
Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend James Swinton Townsend (b9.16.1848, d12.16.1887), son of Fenwick Hall owner (1840) , Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend, was born at Fenwick Hall on September 16, 1848. He married Mary Amarinthea Jenkins Townsend in 1871 and had ten (10) children. Daniel Townsend left his son much of the Rockland Plantation which they had farmed together.
Also born at Fenwick was two of James Swinton's younger sisters: b1845 d1863 Susan Mary Townsend b1847 d1876 Elizabeth Amarinthia Townsend
Photo courtesy of Jean Townsend.
John F. Limehouse
John F. Limehouse
? Leased/Rented from ~1910-1920
The pork sausage guy?
Today Limehouse descendants continue to sell some of the finest local produce grown and sold in the Lowcountry.
? Purchases for farm lands, not for old, abandoned home? Home stays empty besides for birds, chickens and a crazy goat or two? Oh yeah, house abandoned due to ghost legends.
A younger Victor Morawetz. Victor was born in Baltimore on April 3, 1859. He was the son of Dr. L.F. Morawetz and Elise Meye Morawetz.
Victor & Marjorie Morawetz
Former owner and restorer of Fenwick, Mr Victor Morawetz, New York Attorney, was also the architect of one of the most admired railroad turnarounds in history.
Victor and his (2nd) wife Margorie Nott Morawetz, (northern cultural philantropist) restored Fenwick from ruins in the 1930's. He died in 1938. In addition to preserving and restoring several noteable properties in Charleston, including the Haig House at 30 Meeting Street and the Smythe House at 14~16 Lejare St and the Pink House. In the early part of the 19th century, the Pink House deteriorated and was not really repaired until the 1930's when the Morawetz took an interest. It is during its restoration that the small wing on the southeast corner was added, as space in which caterers could work, since the Morawetz used the building strictly as a place to entertain. This wing now houses the teal print room and office space. The Morawetz's hired Architects Albert Simons & his partner Samuel Lapham Jr for the restoration and additions to Fenwick Hall.
Margorie was active in Charleston's restoration and believed it was to Charleston's advantage to erase visible traces of its Victorian past by 'bringing out its (older) 18th century beauty, as much of which is hidden and to 'scrape' off gingerbread ornaments, etc.
Even though considered New Yorkers (part of the swarm of Yankees), the Morawtez's were considered for membership in the St. Cecilia Society, the hallmark of "belonging' in the elite white Charleston society.
One note of interest, during 1927, a private SPS Performance (Society for the Preservation of Negro Spirituals) was held at Fenwick HAll which internationally renowed composer and music critic Walter Damrosch attended. The SPS goal was to protect and preserve African American Spirituals that were sung during the slavery days in the lowcountry. Usually there was a group of 20 or so singers. During January 1930, the SPS sang at the Thursday Evening Club in N.York in front of a "proper New York audience" at the request of the Morawetz. Marjorie described the club's membership as "conservative, cultivated and representative-perhaps a little more of the past than the present". It was said an evening of exchange between like-minded elite individuals was sure to result. (Get the drift?)
Morawetz's benefices to Charleston include the land on which the municipal golf course was built and the bordering avenue of Magnolias along the Maybank Highway. One million dollars given to the South Carolina Medical Society, a wing for the Roper Hospital for the treatment of black patients with contageous diseases, contributions to the Material Welfare Clinic, and much of SeaBrook Island to the Episcopal Church with the understanding that its nature beauty be maintained. Their latter wishes were not honored as the Church sold off much of Seabrook for money.
The Morawetz's also donated funds to the Gibbes Museum in Charleston that was used for museum purchases. They also gave the museum 18th century miniature paintings.
At the time of his death in Charleston, Victor and Marjorie maintained a residence in N.York at 39 East SeventyNinth Street.
Mrs Marjorie Knott Morawetz tried to help the new owner save "Brick House Plantation", Edisto, in the 1930's, but the cost to restore the house was too great, and it was torn down in the 1950's. Mrs Victor Morawetz had an iron-rail fence installed a around the Stanyarne family cemetery to protect it. The graveyard is all that is left of the Brick House Plantation that once grew sea-island, long-staple cotton.
1947-1956 Marge was a Trustee with the "Historic CharlestonFoundation" and since 1956 Marjorie has been an "Honorary Trustee".
Eliphalet Nott Freighter The "Eliphalet Nott" Liberty Class 441' freighter, hull #261, with a US Maritime Commission, delivered 2/1943 was built in South Portland Maine. The freighter was named after Mrs Marjorie Nott Morawetz grandfather who headed Union College, Schnectady, N.York for 60 years. During that time he was responsible for multiple patents. The sponsor of the freighter was Marjorie and she even carried out the "ceremonial christening" of the ship. The freighter was scrapped in 1954.